Tuesday, November 1, 2011

First Small Victory

In past years, hubby and I would buy our Halloween candy a week early, which wouldn't have been an issue if I didn't have a sugar addiction.

It's not like I took a piece of candy here and there. If I started taking one in the morning, I'd eat three more by noon. Then 3-4 pieces in the afternoon. More after dinner, maybe 2-3?  No matter how much was left over after Halloween, it never lasted long.

I finally admitted I had a problem with sugar when I realized that, even without thinking about it, I would "hide" my candy wrappers. I would push it down in the trash, layer something on top of it, make sure no one could "prove" how much I'd eaten.

This year, we bought the candy only the day before. I knew I haven't been doing this long enough to resist the candy. I did tempt myself, though ,the morning of Halloween I opened the big Sam's Club bags and poured them in our cauldron. And I smelled them. Really - I stuck my nose in the bucket and took a long deep breath.

And it stopped there.

The first Halloween of my life, I did not have one single solitary piece of candy. I won't lie and say it was easy. I won't say I didn't also sniff the candy in my daughter's Trick or Treat bag this morning. But not one bite crossed my lips!

I'm sure I will fail, I'm sure there will be a doughnut that calls my name just a little too persistently, birthday cake at a party, or a taste of cookie dough while making them for friends...  but I haven't hit that place yet. It's been 11 days and I haven't had fruit, dessert and I've been trying VERY hard to avoid all "hidden" sugars as well!  I know I haven't been 100% successful, but considering I never though I could do it for one day,  11 is a victory, however small.


3 comments:

  1. Thats amazing!!! -Monica Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you! I know it is hard to give up sugar shoot I gave up sweets for a month and that felt like hell. Even though I still ate other sugars. One word of advice when you do decide to give in (if you do) make sure it is something worth it. If that doughnut gets through to you make sure it is one you can not live without. Giving into temptation is enough guilt but doing it for something unsatisfying is even worse.

    ReplyDelete