Saturday, June 8, 2013

A Must-Read

I have body image issues. Obviously, it's been years and I'm still not "there" (where I want to be, wherever that is.) I swing from overly concerned to completely unconcerned but still self loathing.  I do try, especially now that I have an almost-5-year old daughter, not to be "obvious" about it. I do not want her to have the image issues that I have. 

My mom sent me this article today, Passing On Body Hatred. It was really hard for me to read this because I can identify with so much of it. I spend a lot of time trying to teach my daughter about a healthy lifestyle that includes smart choices with regard to food and keeping active. She's run several races of her own, she LOVES her "running outfit" and I hope that those are the things she is remembering. 

But I can't hide everything. Changing three times before work because nothing fits right, lamenting that I haven't worked out in X amount of time and sometimes being just downright disappointed in myself for my progress (or lack thereof). 

This is a great reminder to me to be mindful of not only how I treat my daughter but how I treat myself in front of her. 

How do you approach a healthy lifestyle with your kids? 

No comments:

Post a Comment